Girlinabook

Girlinabook

Christina, 23. Escapist book lover.

Rogue Rider
April Genevieve Tucholke
Vessel
Sarah Beth Durst

Lady's Lesson in Scandal

A Lady's Lesson in Scandal - Meredith Duran Ι felt like this book had a lot of potential. The hero was interesting, the premise highly original and intriguing: A factory girl turned heiress is struggling to adjust from the gritty brutality of working-class London to the haughty glamour of the ton, all under the supervision of a seductive, clever aristocrat bent on marrying her. Sounds cool right? I thought so. But in the end, it all revolves around the heroine. The untrusting, obstinate, ungrateful, hypocritical,judgemental heroine.Now I confess, judgemental people are a major pet peeve of mine in real life. I believe the world would have a lot less problems to deal with if people weren't so intolerant and learned to be more open. So I'm guessing that characteristic of the heroine grated on me considerably more than it affected other readers.Anyway, I realise that her lack of trust and general rudeness was due to her brutal, cold upbringing in the worst part of London, with a lunatic of a mother and an abusive stepbrother. But there's no excuse for that behavior all through the frickin' book. She continuously resents and dismisses the people of her new world, despite not knowing a thing about them. When these people prove her convictions wrong (frequently, and especially the hero), she ignores it. She insults and looks down on the servants, too, just because they work for the high class.The hero is amazing to her. And not one moment passes where she doesn't doubt him. Even when she starts warming to him, and recognizes that he's different, she still has emo moments where she goes: "He'll never understand me.He has never begged for food." If that was true, and she really wished for him to understand, she'd talk to him about her life. Obviously he'll not understand if you hide behind your discriminating thoughts, you self-righteous idiot. Apparently, in her mind, because he's rich, he'll never comprehend true unhappiness. She treats the whole ton as mindless, good-for-nothing bores on the same principle. And all the while the author tries to pass her off as intelligent by giving her clever banter and feisty declarations of individuality. But honestly, tell me, how can a person who puts a label on an entire group of people be anything but stupid? I guess Duran was trying to mock the aristocracy's obvious rigidity and snobbery through the fresh perspective of the heroine. The effort was wasted, in my opinion, as instead of a biting social commentary, we get what comes out as bitter resentfulness. I also think that the relationship could have been made more interesting. It starts out as lust, with a few glimmers of a real connection, which are met with denial from the heroine. By the end, a loving relationship is formed, but the how and where it was founded still puzzles me.Also, we never do get much far in the psychological portrait of the hero, which is a damn shame, since there was a lot of emotional history there. Musicians make a fascinating kind of hero. This bothered me perhaps because I had previously read More Than a Mistress which delved into the artist's soul. So more unrealised potential in that way.All in all, the writing was good and very realistic, the heroine insufferable, the hero and the story unsatisfyingly handled.